Welcome to Akman & Associates, P.C.
BACKGROUNDAkman & Associates, P.C. is a law firm consisting of eleven (11) full time attorneys, plus approximately thirty-six (36) staff personnel, offering representation to clients in many areas of law, including a variety of pre-paid legal plans. The firm maintains referral agreements with eighteen (18) law-firms who also provide services to plan participants.
Presently, the firm, which has extensive experience in the delivery of pre-paid legal service plans, provides services to eleven (11) groups in eleven (11) states and the District of Columbia. The firm's plans constitute a variety of types, including E.R.I.S.A. approved, mandatory and voluntary, employer and employee paid.
The groups for which services are being provided are as follows:
- A mandatory pre-paid legal plan for the United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 692 and 1436 (formerly the Retail Clerks) went into effect in 1981. This multi-employer plan provides services to approximately 6,500 members throughout the States of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Delaware. In June, 1982, 1,400 members of Local 117 of the United Food and Commercial Workers (formerly the Amalgamated Meatcutters) also began receiving group legal services from the firm. Subsequent to the firm obtaining these plans, the above named Locals merged, becoming the U.F.C.W., Local 27. These two plans are E.R.I.S.A. approved.
- On January 1,1981, a pre-paid plan was established by our firm to cover the employees of the Timonium Race Track, who reside mainly in Maryland.
- In March, 1983, plans were established for the employees of Eddies Supermarket, Inc.,and United Health Maintenance, Inc., which are employer paid. The employees under these plans reside in Maryland and in Southern Pennsylvania.
- On April 1, 1983 a pre-paid legal plan was established for the United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 1459, whose headquarters are located in Springfield, Massachusetts. Approximately 4000 participants are receiving services under this multi-employer, E.R.I.S.A. plan. The participants' reside throughout Massachusetts, Southern Vermont, Rhode Island and Western
- On June 1, 1984, the firm established a plan for the employees of Food-A-Rama, Inc., k/n/a Metro Foods, Inc., a subsidiary of Rich Foods, Inc. which has approximately 1,500 employees living in the vicinity of Baltimore, Maryland.
- In August, 1984, the firm was selected by the Board of Trustees for the United Food and Commercials Workers Union, Local 23 and Employers Legal Benefit Fund to provide legal services for the Fund's 12,500 participants. These participants are located in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Services to participants began on September 1, 1984.
- The firm was selected to provide group legal services to the staff of the United Food And Commercial Workers International Union. Services are being provided to participants in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
- In April, 1988, the firm was selected by the Maryland Classified Employees Association, Inc. to provide services for a voluntary pre-paid legal services program being offered to the membership, on a state-wide basis.
- The firm has also participated in the Coast to Coast Legal Network as well as the AFL-CIO Legal Services Program. Further, in November, 1987, the firm began providing legal services to members of the Ultimate Legal Network residing in Maryland.
- In March, 1990, the firm began providing services to the Warehouse Employees Union, Local 730 and Contributing Companies Prepaid Legal Services Fund whose 2500 participants are located in Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland.
- Further, the firm has provided consulting for legal benefit plans for the Fraternal Order of Police, Baltimore, Maryland, the United Auto Workers, Local 239, and the Philadelphia Teachers Union.